The Department conduct scientific research related to the geological basis of tourism development - geotourism. They deal with the issues of promotion and protection of geological heritage, geological education and popularization of Earth sciences. One of the basic tasks is working with methods of inventory and assessment of geosites, testing them in areas of high geodiversity for the needs of tourism development. Research focuses on geological and geomorphological issues in tourism, but also on their broader geographical context, for example on the impact of geotourism on sociological, economic or cultural aspects. As part of geotourism activity, the department cooperates with local government, international and national geoparks, geocentres and the tourism industry.
The main scopes include:
- presentation of unique sites and areas of geological and geomorphological values in terms of the ability to create geotourist attraction,
- comparative analysis of the existing geo-infrastructure in various countries,
- valuation methodology of the natural environment in tourism,
- ways to share to explore of geosites and create geo-product,
- method of interpretation of geological knowledge to a wider audience,
- methods for creating an geotourist object, its functions and importance,
- providing service facilities in geotourism,
- research problems of geodiversity assessment,
- geological knowledge at different levels of education,
- importance of the geotourism in geoconservation and the methods of protecting geosites against tourist traffic,
- creation and management of geoparks,
- planning and management in geotourism.